History of the Waterford Health Park Building
The following historical account was compiled and written by Fintan Duffy of dhbArchitects during the project research phase
In the early 19th century the Waterford Health Park site was part of the Wyse family's holdings since their acquisition after the dissolution of the St John's Priory endowments in the mid-16th century. The Wyses were one of the few Catholic families to retain their wealth and possessions during the troubled reformation and plantation periods in Ireland. They were receptive therefore to the request from the nuns of the Presentation order for land on which to build a convent and school. The nuns' stock in Waterford as educators of the daughters of the poor was high at the time. The new order of Presentation sisters had been operating out of premises in Hennessy's Road since the beginning of the 1800s and needed better accommodation. Such was their reputation that they had no difficulty in acquiring the consent of the Protestant bishop (a legal prerequisite at that time) to open a new school on the site.
In February 1841, three Waterford citizens took a lease of five and a half acres on behalf of the nuns in the townland of Clowne, Lisduggan. The leaseholders were Thomas Meagher (first Catholic Mayor of Waterford and father of Thomas Francis), Robert Curtis and John Kearney. The landlord Thomas Wyse, gave the lease for the building of a convent for the Presentation sisters or any sisterhood.
To design the building 'the most celebrated architect', Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin was engaged and he was present in person when the foundation stone was laid on the 10th June 1842. The main contractor was Richard Pearse (or Pierce) from Wexford, who was often employed by Pugin for his work in Ireland, although the workers were local. It was a welcome boost to employment. In 1842, there were 26 labourers and 25 masons employed. The following year there were 10 carpenters and 2 sawyers employed. In 1844, two slaters were employed with a stonecutter joining in 1846. Unfortunately the effects of the famine from 1845 affected progress and any funds available were needed for the poor. In 1847, the Poor Law Commissioners were in search of premises to open an auxiliary workhouse and approached the nuns to lease their convent on Hennessy's Road from which they had been operating a soup kitchen. To facilitate this request, some of the nuns appear to have moved into the unfinished building at this stage prior to the Order's taking official possession of the site which now had to be postponed until the 3rd May 1848.
In 1861 a citywide appeal for funds was organised by Dr Cleary, an important local cleric. A meeting of 'influential citizens' was held in the Cathedral sacristy on Sunday 26th May at which it was decided to make a public collection at the doors to all the churches of the City on Sunday 9th June. The appeal was printed in the local papers over the name of Dr Cleary and the response was apparently most generous. The total collection came to 317 pounds, 3 shillings and 4 pence. Less than two years later the chapel was blessed and consecrated by Bishop Dominic O'Brien on the feast of the Finding of the Holy Cross, 1863. There was a lot of interest from the citizens of Waterford and newspapers carried long columns with detailed descriptions of all parts of the chapel. In 1866, the chapel was further embellished by the addition of 'splendid new stained glass windows' which were unveiled on Sunday 21st April.
Opening HoursMon - Fri 8am - 6.30pm
Saturdays 10am - 2pm
Telephone 051 370057
We have won a global award , we are the 2013 winners, Generative Space 'A place to Flourish Award'. The award was presented at the Annual Health Facilities Conference in Chicago,USA in October 2013. Well done to all at WHP . For more info click here
WHP building awarded the Blue Plaque by the Civic Trust on May 1st 2013. The Blue plaque is displayed in the main foyer for all to see.
Other Services @WHP
CuidiÃº Breastfeeding Support Group:
Every 1st and 3rd Thursday of the Month 10am - 11:30am. All welcome. Meet other breastfeeding mothers and enjoy refreshments from the on site cafe."
Speech and language therapist Lisa Shine has commenced private practice at WHP. www.slts.ie
Unislim ClassesTuesdays 6.30pm- 7.30pm.All welcome
Mr Enda Kenny- Taoiseach visits Waterford Health ParkPictured below are Enda Kenny, Mark Rowe & Edel Rowe
Eye Clinic@Waterford Health Park launched by Consultant Ophthalmologist (eye specialist) Dr. Emer Henry. click here for more info
Art Therapistis now running individual and group art therapy sessions at WHP
Ante Natal Classes are run by the HSE on site
Written by Dr. Mark Rowe.
Includes questionnaires and lists of symptoms to look out for.
Covers issues including alcohol, cancer, cholesterol, impotence, exercise, heart disease, stress and the prostrate.
Read more news ...